WHY THE NEED?
- Property development and construction, and indirectly the trading and supply of material and equipment related to the building industry had always been a cornerstone of every nation’ economy, as with Singapore and Vietnam.
- While the big players like Keppel Land, CapitaLand and Sembcorp are well established here, the same cannot be said for the medium-size and smaller Singapore companies who look to expand beyond the safe shores of Singapore to grow their business overseas and Vietnam seems to be a viable destination for them.
- The challenges posed to venture in to Vietnam, a place of different language and business culture will always pose a stumbling block to overcome, yet we notice a keen interest resulted from both the existing “pull & push” factors.
- Vietnam’s economy is recovering swiftly from the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic and development and construction activities are getting back on track. Vietnam as a much larger and developing country compared to Singapore has much to offer, while Singapore companies can bring capital investment, expertise and experience to help Vietnam achieve its development goals. Singapore Government is encouraging Singapore companies to venture overseas and secure business ventures which can help Singapore to maintain and stretch its competitive edge and secure Singapore’s future.
MISSION OF THE DEVELOPMENT & CONSTRUCTION MSC
- The proposed Development and Construction MSC will be able to support, share, link-up and smoothen the initial transition, and build lasting connections beneficial for both Singapore and Vietnam companies in the Industry, by
- Exchanging knowledge and raise awareness about the current situation of the Industry
- To connect Singapore Companies and SBG’s members to good local players and industry experts for potential joint-ventures and collaborations
- To be a sounding board for policy related issues impacting industry
- To organize seminars and networking sessions for members to meet, share, address issues and enjoy the company of people in the same industry/situation
- Seeing the needs and the benefits, these Companies would have good reasons to join and support SBG and strengthen SBG’s membership no. and relevancy.
(This charter proposal was made by Mr. Daniel Lim – Chair of the Development and Construction MSC)